Mr. DeMars has extensive experience in real estate project financing and lobbying on behalf of business interests. He specializes in representing businesses in property reassessment petitions before county and city government assessors.
An Active Member of the Twin Cities Community
Through his extensive involvement in local government and business, Lou DeMars has the clout necessary to help businesses navigate even the most complicated types of property tax appeals.
The past local government and business activities of Mr. DeMars include:
- President of the Minneapolis City Council
- President of the Minnesota Institute of Public Finance
- Vice President of the Carlton Financial Corporation
- Senior Vice President of the Miller & Schroeder investment firm
- Elected Minneapolis Park Board Commissioner
- Chair of the Board of Artspace Projects, Inc.
- Commodore and Board member of the Minneapolis Aquatennial
In addition to his role as an active member of the North Metro Mayors association, Mr. DeMars currently serves on several boards including:
- Artspace Projects Inc.
- Minnesota Minority Junior Golf Association
- Minnesota 100
- Metropolitan Lifelong Learning Center, LLC
Unparalleled Financing and Business Experience
Since leaving the Minneapolis City Council, Mr. DeMars has stayed active with the City of Minneapolis and the Twin Cities business community. He was instrumental in creating the Minneapolis Common Bond Fund in 1982. This fund eventually leveraged more than $200,000,000 in revenue bond financing.
As an investment banker for Miller and Schroeder Financial, Lou DeMars worked on many City and Hennepin County financings, including:
- Target Center
- Laurel Village
- Hennepin Energy Recovery Center
- Calhoun Square and Parking Ramp
- Ryan International Center
- Energy Retrofit financing for the 1997 and 1999 retrofits for the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority and many other city projects.
In 2007, Lou DeMars was appointed by Mayor Rybak to serve on the City of Minneapolis Pension Advisory Commission. In 2009, Mr. DeMars was the designated speaker at the Minneapolis Sesquicentennial Celebration honoring all the current and past city council members.